‘Recurring Fake News’ – Peter Obi Denies Arrest Rumours

Peter Obi
Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 election, has addressed and refuted rumours regarding his alleged arrest, labelling them as “recurring fake news.”

Gatekeepers News reports that recent social media claims suggested that the former governor of Anambra State had been arrested in Abuja.

In a post on his X account on Wednesday, Obi clarified that these assertions are completely false and confirmed that he is currently at his residence in Onitsha, Anambra State.

Obi also recalled similar rumours from last September, which falsely reported that the Department for Security Services (DSS) had invaded his home while he was in Rwanda.

He expressed concern over the motives behind these rumours, suggesting they serve no positive purpose, and urged Nigerians to remain focused on the significant challenges facing the nation.

The post reads, “The recurring fake News on me. I have been made aware of a circulating fake News about my alleged arrest. Let me state unequivocally that these claims are entirely false. I am currently at my home in Onitsha, Anambra State.

“Such fake News on my person has become a pastime for some people. Recall last year September, when I was in Rwanda, similar lies had gone out that DSS invaded my house; now, while I was in my home in Onitsha, Anambra State, they said I was arrested in Abuja.

“The motive of these peddlers cannot be positive but let us not allow baseless rumors to distract us from the critical challenges we face as a nation. I Thank the public for the concern, support, and dedication to the cause of a better Nigeria that is possible!!!”

Obi, on Tuesday, raised concerns about threats to his life following his critiques of President Bola Tinubu’s administration, which he communicated in a recent New Year message. This statement comes in the wake of remarks made by Felix Morka, the national spokesperson of the All Progressives Congress (APC), during a recent interview.

Morka was quoted to have said, “Peter Obi has crossed the line so many times and has it coming to him whatever he gets”. However, the APC spokesperson has denied threatening the opposition leader or his family.