The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has lifted a 12-year Condition of Entry (CoE) imposed on vessels that called at designated Nigerian ports before proceeding to the United States.
Gatekeepers News reports that Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) announced the development on Tuesday, saying the decision brings an end to additional security requirements that had been imposed on affected vessels since June 25, 2014.
Under the restriction, vessels destined for the US that had visited designated Nigerian ports within their previous five port calls were subjected to enhanced security measures and additional scrutiny before being allowed into US waters.
The decision followed four assessments conducted by the US Coast Guard on Nigeria’s maritime security framework and port facilities between March 2024 and April 2026. The assessments reportedly showed significant improvements in Nigeria’s maritime security performance and implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.
Adegboyega Oyetola, Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, described the lifting of the restriction as a major milestone for Nigeria’s maritime sector. He said it demonstrates progress in strengthening security and ensuring that Nigerian ports meet international standards.
Oyetola said the development is expected to improve the competitiveness of Nigerian ports, shorten vessel turnaround times, enhance schedule reliability and reduce costs associated with additional security procedures and delays.
He commended NIMASA and other stakeholders for their efforts in improving maritime security and maintaining compliance with international requirements.
The removal of the CoE is expected to strengthen Nigeria’s position in international shipping and make the country’s ports more attractive to vessels engaged in global trade.
