Federal High Court in Abuja has postponed hearing on the final forfeiture of a London property linked to the late Jeremiah Useni, former Minister of Federal Capital Territory, to February 25.
Gatekeepers News reports that the case, brought by the Code of Conduct Bureau, followed an ex parte application filed in 2025 in which the bureau asked the court to place the property under interim forfeiture and preservation.
The CCB alleged that the house was purchased with proceeds of unlawful activity. On November 28, Justice Binta Nyako granted the interim order and instructed the bureau to publish the forfeiture notice in a national newspaper within 14 days, calling on any person or bodywith interest in the property to appear and prove lawful ownership.
When the matter came up again on Monday, counsel to the CCB, Sufyan Ibrahim Ahmad, told the court that the necessary court processes had been served and that proof of service was available.
He explained that efforts to serve the documents at Useni’s last known residence in Jos, Plateau State, failed because no family member of the deceased was present.
Ahmad said occupants at the address later provided contact details of a law firm in the FCT, which then gave the bureau the address of Useni’s daughter, on whom the documents were eventually served.
Justice Nyako, however, pointed out that the court had not authorised substituted service. She also questioned whether Useni’s daughter was the legal administrator of his estate or of the property in dispute.
Ahmad responded that she was not and added that he was unaware of whether Useni left a will. Based on these issues, the court directed the CCB to formally apply for leave to effect substituted service before adjourning the case to February 25.
The disputed property is located at 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2 7SX. The house has been the subject of prolonged legal battles in the United Kingdom, where competing ownership claims were filed at the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) Land Registration under case number REF/2023/0155. Named in that dispute were Mike Ozekhome, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, and the late Useni, a retired lieutenant-general.
In the UK proceedings, one party identified as “Ms Tali Shani” and Ozekhome both laid claim to the property. Ozekhome maintained that he received the house as a gift from Mr Tali Shani in 2021.
Lawyers representing Ms Shani argued that she was the rightful owner. A witness described as Mr Tali Shani testified for Ozekhome, claiming he held Powers of Attorney over the property and later transferred it to him.
He said he had owned the house since 1993 and appointed Useni as his property manager, referring to Useni as an elder friend and business partner.
In contrast, witnesses for “Ms Tali Shani” tendered documents such as an obituary notice, NIN card, ECOWAS passport, and phone records to support her claim. The tribunal ruled that all the documents presented on her behalf were fake and later dismissed all claims, concluding that neither Mr nor Ms Tali Shani existed.
Meanwhile, federal government has also initiated a separate criminal case against Ozekhome. On January 16, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission filed a three-count charge marked FCT/HC/CR/010/2026 against him.
He was expected to be arraigned at the FCT High Court in Maitama on Monday, but proceedings were stalled after Rotimi Oyedepo, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, informed the court that the Attorney-General of the Federation had taken over prosecution of the case.
Oyedepo said the AGF would handle the matter with the highest standard of efficiency, effectiveness, diligence and compliance with due process of law and requested time to review the case file. The court has now fixed February 24 for Ozekhome’s arraignment.






