The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) says Nigeria has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) but is intensifying surveillance and preparedness efforts following the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo that has claimed 88 lives and spread to neighbouring Uganda.
Gatekeepers News reports that in a statement issued on Sunday, NCDC Director-General Jide Idris said the agency was strengthening surveillance systems, laboratory readiness, infection prevention measures, and public awareness campaigns across the country.
The development comes after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the latest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda a “public health emergency of international concern”.
The outbreak, which began in Ituri province in eastern DR Congo, has recorded about 246 suspected cases and involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there is currently no approved vaccine or treatment.
Health authorities warned that the outbreak poses a high regional risk after infections were detected in Uganda and linked cases reached Kinshasa, the Congolese capital.
While declaring the emergency, the WHO stopped short of classifying the outbreak as a pandemic, noting that the situation did not yet meet the required criteria. The agency also advised countries against shutting borders or imposing trade restrictions.
According to health officials, early symptoms of Ebola include fever, fatigue, muscle pain, headache, and sore throat, which may later progress to vomiting, diarrhoea, skin rash, and bleeding.
The WHO said eight laboratory-confirmed cases had so far been recorded, alongside several suspected infections and deaths across three health zones, including Bunia — the capital of Ituri province — and the gold-mining towns of Mongwalu and Rwampara.
One confirmed case was also reported in Kinshasa involving a patient who recently returned from Ituri.
The WHO further disclosed that the virus had spread beyond DR Congo, with two confirmed infections in Uganda. Ugandan authorities said a 59-year-old man who died on Thursday tested positive for the disease.
Reacting to the outbreak, Jide Idris said Nigeria was closely monitoring the situation due to increased movement across African countries and was collaborating with relevant agencies, including Port Health Services under the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, to strengthen national preparedness.
“NCDC is closely monitoring the situation and working with relevant stakeholders, including the Port Health Services, to ensure continued vigilance and preparedness within the public health system,” he said.
He described Ebola as a severe viral disease transmitted through direct contact with infected blood, bodily fluids, secretions, or contaminated materials.
According to him, the disease has an incubation period of between two and 21 days, with symptoms including fever, weakness, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhoea, and in severe cases, unexplained bleeding.
Healthcare workers were urged to maintain a high level of suspicion, especially in patients presenting Ebola-like symptoms alongside relevant travel or exposure history.
Idris stressed the need for strict compliance with infection prevention and control measures, including early detection and isolation of suspected cases, proper use of personal protective equipment, regular hand hygiene, and prompt reporting through official channels.
“NCDC will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates as necessary,” he added.
The agency also advised Nigerians to remain calm, practise good hygiene, avoid spreading misinformation, and promptly report unusual illnesses.
Nigeria earned global recognition in 2014 for successfully containing an Ebola outbreak after an infected traveller arrived in Lagos from Liberia.


