PDP Candidate In FCT Poll Withdraws For APC Rival After ‘Consultation’ With Wike

Julius Adamu, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairmanship candidate for Bwari Area Council, has stepped down in favour of Joshua Ishaku Musa of the All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead of Saturday’s Federal Capital Territory (FCT) area council elections.

Gatekeepers Newreports that Adamu announced his withdrawal in a video shared on X on Wednesday, where he appeared alongside the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, chanting “PDAPC”.

He said his decision followed a “deep consultation” with the minister and was aimed at supporting Musa’s candidacy.

“I and Joshua, we are brothers; and it would not be nice for two brothers to kill themselves over one reason. As such, I have relinquished my support to Honorable Joshua,” Adamu said.

He also urged his supporters to back Musa in the race to become chairman of Bwari Area Council.

Wike had earlier declared that he would ensure candidates aligned with President Bola Tinubu emerge victorious in the council elections.

Speaking in Abuja last Saturday, the minister said party affiliation would not determine his position, stressing that his support would go to candidates who back the president.

“We have the FCT area council election coming up on February 21, and I have a duty to support any candidate that supports President Tinubu to win,” Wike said.

“It is also my duty to ensure that any candidate who is not supporting Tinubu does not win in the election, and I owe no apology for my stance.”

The development marks a significant shift in the Bwari chairmanship contest, with the PDP candidate throwing his weight behind the APC contender days before voters head to the polls.