Troops of Joint Task Force in the South-East have successfully thwarted a kidnap attempt and rescued five travellers during a security operation along the Enugu–Anambra boundary.
Gatekeepers News reports that the incident occurred on Friday evening after security forces received a distress alert about suspected gunmen attacking commuters around the 9th Mile area, a major route linking Enugu and Anambra states. The military said the victims were travelling toward Anambra when the attackers struck.
According to a statement by the Nigerian Army, troops were swiftly deployed to the scene after the report was received at about 6:55 pm. On arrival, the soldiers engaged the kidnappers in a gun battle, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding bush.
The statement added that the rapid response and tactical manoeuvres of the troops ensured the safe rescue of all five victims, who were freed without injuries. Their vehicle, which had been seized by the attackers, was also recovered intact.
Following the operation, the troops intensified patrols and launched a manhunt to track down the fleeing suspects and prevent further criminal activity in the area. The military said the action was part of ongoing efforts to dismantle criminal networks and restore confidence among road users across the South-East.
The Nigerian Army reaffirmed its commitment to protecting lives and property, stressing that sustained intelligence-driven operations would continue across flashpoints in the region.
Residents and travellers were also urged to provide timely and credible information to security agencies to aid ongoing security operations.


