Secret Service Neutralises Gunman After Opening Fire Near White House

Screenshot

A gunman was shot dead by the United States Secret Service after opening fire close to the White House in Washington, D.C., triggering a major security response around the presidential complex.

Gatekeepers News reports that sccording to reports, the incident happened on Saturday evening near a security checkpoint close to 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.

Authorities said the suspect pulled a firearm from a bag and began shooting at officers before Secret Service agents returned fire, killing him at the scene. A bystander was also reportedly hit during the exchange and rushed to the hospital.  

The White House was briefly placed on lockdown as heavily armed security personnel and emergency responders flooded the area. Journalists and visitors around the White House grounds were ordered to take cover after multiple gunshots rang out.  

US President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House at the time of the shooting but was unharmed. In a statement afterwards, Trump praised the swift response of the Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies.  

Several media outlets identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best, who was said to have previously come to the attention of authorities over incidents linked to the White House area and mental health concerns. Reports also indicated that a stay-away order had earlier been issued against him.  

The FBI and Secret Service have launched investigations into the motive behind the attack, while security measures around the White House have since been tightened.