Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Gunmen ‘enforcing sit-at-home’ Kill Four Soldiers In Abia

Gunmen Officers Zamfara

Gunmen killed at least four soldiers on Thursday in Abia State.

Gatekeepers News reports that the gunmen, who were allegedly enforcing the sit-at-home directive of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), opened fire on a military checkpoint in Obikabia junction in Aba.

Videos of the terrifying attack have gone viral on social media. The heavily armed men who were all wearing black outfits, sporadically fired gunshots at the junction. They also set the military patrol vehicles on fire.

Police spokesman in Abia, Maureen Chinaka, and Army spokesman, Onyema Nwachukwu haven’t responded to calls or text messages on the development.

Last week, IPOB through a statement released, declared May 30 as a sit-at-home in the southeast to honour “our heroes and heroines” who died in the civil war between 1967 and 1970.

IPOB spokesman said, “Every Biafran in Biafra territory is expected to sit at home on this day and reflect on the danger of the forced unity called Nigeria that have taken millions of lives of Biafrans.”

Streets and major roads in most parts of the south-east were deserted on Thursday.

The police, however, had asked residents in the south-east states to ignore IPOB’s directive, but the people obeyed the sit-at-home order.

The deputy speaker of the House of Representatives who represents the Bende federal constituency in Abia, Ben Kalu has strongly condemned the killing of the soldiers through his official X account.

He “The killing of these military personnel, who were carrying out their lawful duties, was unwarranted, outrageous, cruel, and totally condemnable.”

“Let me remind us that Aba is the commercial nerve center of the Southeast and therefore, a home for people from all walks of life.”

“The people of Aba are known for their enterprising spirit and technical skills. They cannot be hoodwinked into thinking that locking up their shops, closing their businesses, and staying at home is in their best interest.”

Kalu urged residents of the state not to engage in any form of violence, as it is not part of the culture of Ndi Igbo”.

Speaking on behalf of the south-east governors, during a press briefing, the Governor of Imo, Hope Uzodimna described the attack as ‘unfortunate’.

He said “On behalf of my brother governors in the south-east governors’ forum, I condemn the incident and loss of the lives of soldiers who were on their duty posts. Without any provocation, they were attacked by the men of the underworld.”

“The unfortunate thing is that it is going to act as a major setback to the peace process being pursued by the governors from the zone with the federal government, security agencies, and other critical stakeholders on how best to resolve the problem of security in the region.”

You May Also Like

News

A twenty-two (22) year old newlywed bride was among the victims of the attacks by gunmen in Anambra communities on Monday. Gatekeepers News reports...

Politics

A federal high court in Abuja has dismissed again, a bail application filed by the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu...

News

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), on Sunday, called on the Defence Headquarters to direct its energy to Finland-based legal practitioner, Simon Ekpa who...

News

Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State, Southeast Nigeria has said the sit-at-home order declared by the proscribed members of the Indigenous People of Biafra...