Jury Begins Final Deliberations In Diezani Bribery Case

Former OPEC president Diezani Alison-Madueke arrives to Westminster Magistrates' Court in London on October 2, 2023. - Alison-Madueke has been charged with bribery offences relating to her time as Nigeria's oil minister, the UK National Crime Agency said. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)

The jury in the alleged bribery trial involving former petroleum minister Diezani Alison-Madueke has begun deliberations ahead of a final verdict in London’s Southwark Crown Court.

Gatekeepers News reports that Diezani, who served as Nigeria’s minister of petroleum resources between 2010 and 2015 under former President Goodluck Jonathan, is standing trial alongside oil executive Olatimbo Ayinde and her brother, Doye Agama. The three defendants face multiple charges linked to alleged bribery and conspiracy. All of them have pleaded not guilty.  

British prosecutors accused the former minister of receiving luxury properties, expensive shopping trips and other benefits from oil industry figures seeking favourable treatment in oil and gas contracts. Prosecutors argued that it was improper for a serving public official to have her lifestyle funded by businessmen connected to government deals.  

During closing arguments last week, Diezani’s lead counsel, Jonathan Laidlaw, criticised the prosecution for allegedly failing to charge the businessmen said to have offered the bribes.

He also questioned the handling of evidence recovered during a 2015 raid on the former minister’s Abuja residence, claiming investigators lacked key original materials.  

The trial, which began in January, has drawn major international attention due to Diezani’s former role as one of Nigeria’s most influential oil officials and a past president of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries.

The jury is expected to deliver its verdict after concluding deliberations on the eight charges before the court.